Thursday, August 18, 2016

Lavender Simple Syrup suggestions


A couple of people asked me what to do with lavender simple syrup, so I wanted to offer some serving suggestions. Granted, these aren't "healthy" or "nutritious" per se, but sugar syrups never are ;) This syrup is a treat, and as such, should be used sparingly.


1. Lavender Latté

We use an aeropress to make espresso at home, and I microwave milk since I prefer foamless lattés anyway. This is super basic - just add a teaspoon or so of lavender simple syrup to a latté, et voilà! A very fancy, sophisticated-tasting beverage that'd cost $5+ in a high-fallutin' third-wave coffee shop.




2. Vanilla Lavender Milkshake


Also quite basic. My immersion blender is my favorite kitchen appliance. It's amazing for making salad dressings, sauces, milkshakes/smoothies, puréed soups, etc. Cleanup is SO MUCH EASIER than a food processor or blender! For one milkshake, combine 3/4 cup vanilla ice cream, 1/4 cup milk, and 1 tbsp of lavender simple syrup.




3. Lavender Russian

It's kind of like a white Russian with a lavender "twist", but not quite traditional. I prefer to make this with milky coffee plus a strong coffee liquor like St. Georges NOLA Coffee Liquor, rather than the traditional vodka, coffee liquor + cream. Use equal parts milky coffee and strong coffee liquor, plus a splash of lavender syrup. Serve over ice.




4. Greek Yogurt with Lavender and Honey

Okay, I was going to post a recipe for something like chocolate lavender mousse, but then I felt like it would be kinda disingenuous, since I literally never make anything as involved as mousse. For this, all you need is some flavorful honey, plain greek yogurt and lavender syrup. This dessert is a lot healthier than pudding or a milkshake, and amazingly refreshing in the heat of the summer.

The strongest flavored honeys I've had are Tasmanian Leatherwood (truly, a tiny bit packs a big honey punch!) and Buckwheat honey, but my long-standing favorite is this one from Honey Gardens - I absolutely LOVE floral, crystally honey! Locally, I've found it in both Whole Foods and Rainbow Grocery.

To 1/3 cup of plain greek yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon of lavender syrup and mix thoroughly. Then add the honey and mix as much or as little as you like - personally I like to just swirl mine in so the chunky honey texture really stands out against the cool, creamy yogurt. Enjoy!

No comments: